Good morning Nigeria, welcome to Naija News roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Thursday, 29th October 2020
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved N2.9 billion contracts for the printing of sensitive and non-sensitive examination materials.
The council also approved N1.6bn for the rehabilitation and upgrade of some roads within the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
The decisions were taken at the council’s meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed; Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu; and the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mohammed Bello, briefed State House correspondents at the end of the meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Adamu said the printing contracts were awarded to a group of eight printers.
According to the minister, the materials are meant for the Basic Education Certification Examination, the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination, and the National Common Entrance, adding that “because of the recent disturbances, we have postponed the examinations that have not taken place.”
The Nigerian government has announced that it is in the process of building 10 airports in various states of the country to boost its economy.
The Minister of Aviation Hadi Sirika made the announcement while appearing before the Senate Committee on Civil Aviation on Tuesday to defend his ministry’s 2021 budget.
The parliamentary committee expressed concern over the deterioration of some of the country’s airports.
Hadi Sirika said the government now sees the aviation sector as a way to boost its economy, which is why it is considering building airports in Anambra, Benue, Ekiti, Nasarawa and Ebonyi states.
He said the federal government had already taken over the management of Dutse, Osubi and Kebbi airports from the state governments, adding that the Gombe state government had also written a letter requesting the federal government to take over the management of the airport.
Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has reacted to the clash between the Yoruba and the Hausa in the Fagba, Ifako-Ijaiye area of the state.
Sanwo-Olu, who visited the scene to assess the level of damage in the area today, however, vowed to deal decisively with the those involved in inter-tribal clashes.
He told residents that the state government would help to ease their pains.
The governor was accompanied on the tour by the Deputy Governor, Dr Obafemi Hamzat; Secretary to the State Government, Mrs Folasade Jaji; Special Adviser to the Governor on Education, Mr Tokunbo Wahab; and Head of Service, Mr Hakeem Muri-Okunola.
He said, “The level of destruction that I have seen here is colossal; it is unfortunate. Enumeration will start immediately by the two local governments. The council chairmen and all the community leaders will come together and come up with a list of those whose properties have been destroyed.
“We are using this opportunity to give notices to all the miscreants in the neighbourhood and that is why I am looking at you.
“If you know that you are not doing any work and that you are one of the people that have caused this trouble, we are giving you the final notice because we are coming to clear this whole place.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Nigeria’s main opposition party, says the reappointment of Professor Mahmood Yakubu as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), will serve as a momentum to credible elections in Nigeria.
Naija News had reported earlier that President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, October 27, reappointed Yakubu as the Chairman of INEC for another five years.
Reacting to the appointment in a statement issued on Wednesday by Kola Ologbondiyan, its spokesman, the PDP said the reappointment has entrusted Yakubu with fate, hope, and future of over 200 million Nigerians, as well as those of generations yet unborn.
The PDP said, “We consider this reappointment by President Buhari as an impetus to demonstrate readiness for a free fair and credible election, which Mr. President had always promised to bequeath at the end of his second and final term in office in 2023.
“In the light of this five-year extension, our party hopes that the failures, disappointments and miscarriages that characterized the first five years tenure of Yakubu will have no place in the new order.
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has described Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, has a “little Hitler“.
Naija News reports that the IPOB leader described Wike as a “little Hitler” in reaction to a threat by the governor that he would sack all Local Government chairmen in Rivers over the activities of IPOB.
The Rivers State Governor warned that any council chairman that allows IPOB to hold processions and hoist its flag within their jurisdiction in Rivers State, risk sack.
Reacting to Governor Wike’s directive to the LG Chairmen, Kanu in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter, on Wednesday afternoon, told the chairmen of all LGA’s in Rivers that Wike’s ” ‘order’ to you to ‘fish out’ IPOB members in your LGAs is demeaning, unlawful and anti-people. ”
The IPOB leader told the LG Chairmen that it is in the best interest of their people and their conscience to ignore Wike and stand with their “people, always.”
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former Nigeria minister of finance has emerged as the new director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
This is according to reports on Wednesday monitored by Naija News on Arise TV.
Okonjo-Iweala defeated her fellow finalist, Ms Yoo Myung-hee from South Korea by a wide margin for the keenly contested position.
It is understood that the development will be formally announced by the WTO later.
Our reporter further gathered that Okonjo-Iweala polled 104 votes from 164 member countries to defeat Myung-hee of South Korea in the final stage of the race for the international job.
Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi has instructed all workers in the state civil service that have been away from their duty post due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions to resume back to work.
The Governor issued the directive in a statement on Wednesday by the Head of the State Civil Service, Mrs. Peju Babafemi.
Naija News understands workers on grade levels 02–07 in the state workforce have been away from office since March 23, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, they have now been directed to resume duties as from Monday, November 2, 2020 and ensure full compliance with COVID-19 protocols and safety measures.
Nigeria President, Muhammadu Buhari, on Wednesday launched the emblem appeal fund for the 2021 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebration.
The launching took place at the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
President Buhari on Wednesday launched the emblem with N10m.
The launching of the emblem is held every year to raise fund in honour of the nation’s fallen heroes.
President Muhammadu Buhari has been charged by the Pan Niger Delta Forum to take full responsibility for the shootings of protesters at the Lekki toll gate last week Tuesday.
The group in a statement released through its spokesperson, Ken Robinson, urge Buhari to investigate the incident and make the perpetrators of the shooting face the law.
PANDEF supported the call by the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria calling for a thorough investigation into the tragic incident.
“PANDEF calls on President Muhammadu Buhari to, as Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federation, take full responsibility for the horrible occurrence at the Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday, 20th October 2020 and direct the immediate commencement of actions to bring to book those behind that incident.”
“The ramifications of the Lekki Tollgate incident go beyond portraying Nigeria to the world in a bad light; it is a threat to the nation’s democracy if it is true that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had no foreknowledge of the incident,” the statement reads in part.
Musiliu Akinsanya aka MC Oluomo, Lagos State Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) has declared that he would always remain loyal to Asiwaju Bola Tinubu irrespective of what others think or feel.
MC Oluomo made the assertion on Wednesday in a tweet released on his Twitter page.
Naija News recalls Tinubu has been embattled over the past few days over his alleged roles in the shooting of peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Tollgate by soldiers last week Tuesday.
Some reports even had it that he fled to France after ordering the shooting of innocent protesters. Two of his media investments, TVC and The Nation Newspaper were razed by angry youths in events following the Lekki toll gate incident.
Though Tinubu had openly come out to deny any form of involvement in the shooting of protesters and the protest itself, the jury is still out on his case.
However, MC Oluomo has taken a stand and declared total allegiance to Tinubu by writing: “I will forever stand with Bola Ahmed Tinubu no matter what people say.”
That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.