Governor Muhammad Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa State has responded to the destruction of houses, valuable properties caused by floods in the state which has reportedly claimed no fewer than forty lives of residents.
The governor while speaking with newsmen over the issue on Tuesday, ordered for the immediate evacuation of displaced flood victims across the state, Naija News learnt.
Badaru lamented that the flood had destroyed many houses and villages in the state, forcing the citizens to look for a cover elsewhere. He said, “I had instructed the state commissioner of education to work with the local Government council chairmen of affected local governments to move the displaced victims to primary schools and other public buildings.”
“We had been sending Materials such as mosquito nets, food, medical teams to stay permanently in order to assist the victims until we resolve issues with their villages,” Badaru noted.
On his part, while reacting to the development, the Executive Secretary, State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, Yusuf Sani Babura said the repeated occurrence forced many residents out of their homes as many are now taking shelter at other places.
He disclosed that seven more death was recorded recently, making the death toll to rise to forty persons across the state.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed sadness over the destruction of rice farms by flood in Jigawa state, northern Nigeria.
Naija News reports that the President sympathised with the victims of the Jigawa flood in a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, where he assured them that they would not be abandoned by the government.